Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Recipe Swap!


It's that time of year...friends and family gathered around a table sharing memories and breaking bread together.  Oh, and we mustn't forget the copious amounts of Thanksgiving staples piled high on that table.  So, the SassyIF Lady and Stirrup Queens' posts this week got me thinking...what are your Thanksging staples?  And, what recipes would you like to share?

Here's what will be on theThanksgiving table at my house this week:

Appetizers: (Feel free to share your quick and easy recipes here...I need a couple more!)
White Bean Dip with Pita Chips and Veggies (I add lots of lemon to this recipe)

Main Course:
Roasted Turkey with Citrus Rosemary Salt
Brown Sugar Spiral-Sliced Ham (the result of a family dispute...silly boys!)

Sides:
Mashed Potatoes with Carmelized Onions
Sweet Potatoes with crispy marshmallow crust
Cranberry Jell-o Mold with fresh fruit
Stuffing
Green Bean Casserole
Rolls

Desserts:
Spicy Pumpkin Pie
Ooey Gooey Chocolate Butter Cake
Cranberry Chiffon Pie

And, while this one isn't for our Thanksgiving table, it certainly could be!  I made it for my coworkers today and it was a big hit.
Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle

See anything were missing?  See a recipe you'd like?

Now, here's my entry for the recipe swap...my MIL's Spicy Pumpkin Pie.  It's no ordinary pumpkin pie.  It's got that perfect combination of sweet cinnamon and spicy ginger, allspice, cloves and nutmeg.  I'm a pumpkin pie fanatic this time of year and this recipe has become the tried-and-true, "classic with a touch of spice" pie that everyone requests at our Thanksgiving table.  Enjoy!

MIL's Spicy Pumpkin Pie
1 9-inch unbaked pie crust

1 16-ounce can pumpkin
1 13-ounce can evaporated milk
2 eggs
1/2 C. packed brown sugar
1/2 C. sugar
1-1/2 tsps. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat pumpkin with remaining ingredients until well mixed. Place pie plate on oven rack. Pour pumpkin mixture into pie crust; bake 15 minutes; turn oven to 350 degrees and bake 35 minutes more or until filling is set (knife inserted in middle comes out clean. (I always cover the crust with foil during baking because it usually gets too brown. If you are doing this without crust, no problemo!) Cool and serve topped with Cool Whip or whipped cream.

Share your special, must-have recipes (be they traditional, or not) either here, or on your blog!

6 comments:

Marla said...

The truffle looks and sounds awesome!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE peppridge farm stuffing. SOOOOOOO good. I am always asked to make my sweet potato casserole with marshmallows. This year I'm also making an apple crisp for dessert. Your food items sound very yummy :D

Mrs. Farmer said...

Oh my gosh you made me soo hungry!! I can't wait to start cooking!!! Thanks for all the great ides!!

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm .... stuffing ......

Laurel said...

My mother has started making bean caserole, because it is my brother-in-law's favourite.

Mrs. Gamgee said...

mmmmm... is there room for one more at your table?

ICLW

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...